Wednesday, August 8, 2007

New Product Testing

Recently I had been awarded the opportunity to try out Sculpey's new Studio Line clay through the PCAGOE group. I had received one package of the torquiose color and had written up a small little article in regards to my findings after I worked with the clay. I had decided that maybe I should share this will all of my friends ...so here goes...


Originally Posted on PCAGOE (8/7/07)


"OK...well...I've played for a few hours with this stuff....here's what I think... I received the turquoise blue color. Nice vibrant color too. As far as the clay, well...I'm not sold just yet. It prob has it's place in the claying world..just like all the others..but what that place is ..not sure yet. When I first opened the package it seemed like it was very pliable..or soft to work with. I left it on my worksurface over night to pick it back up again today. I almost think that letting the air get to it may have dried it a bit..but not sure exactly on that one. It was a bit stiff to knead, so I put it in the pasta machine. I put it on the 1st setting..it rolled fine. I put it on the 4th setting...again fine. However, I did notice an almost powdery feel to it after it went through the machine. Almost like a powdery residue on my fingers. But all it all...the clay seems like it holds up well to finger prints if you don't knead the heck out of it. If you do, it gets softer like a regular polyclay. Oh..and one other thing I noticed is that it seemed lighter..kinda like those super light clays they sell now..compaired to Fimo or Sculpey. I used it to make a couple of pendant blanks...it was a piece of cake to smooth down the edges without distorting the overall shape too much and I was able to stamp into raw clay with out a release powder or water.. I also made a few figures from it...I call em my blue meanies.... It was a bit tough to get them into shape...and a little difficult to blend seams. However, that being said, I didn't experience much saging when they were baked. Another good point is that I didn't experience much of an oily feel on my hands...but there was a residue of some kind. A couple of downfalls I noticed, it seems to rip easy and it was hard to achieve a super smooth surface with you fingers.Now I don't do canes..so I don't know how it would react to that process. It may do good..I don't know...or it would prob. be good for beads too.

1 comment:

Loreluca said...

LOVE these meannies!!! They are the CUTEST meannies!!!